Sunday, July 13, 2008

Hmm. So there's that.

This post is more about sorting out my thoughts than about being funny/angry/whatever it is that you people come here for.  So I apologize for the interruption, and shall try to resume regularly scheduled snark as soon as possible.

So, I met the guy from Oshawa today for a couple of beers.  I don't really know what to say about it, but I figured I owed it to you people to follow up and keep you posted on any progress (or lack thereof).  I had a good time - very nice guy, genuinely funny, and smart in totally different ways than I am.  I'm always picking up on verbal and non-verbal cues that tell me that the person I'm talking to is thoroughly intimidated by what I do and my education...I didn't get any of that from him, and that is refreshing. 

So I'm trying not to think too much about it, because I don't want to overdo it.  Because it still remains to be seen whether there is any actual chemistry there...anything that will really keep me hooked.  But if I spend too much time analyzing it when he's not around, I'm bound to either talk myself into or out of something.  It's not really fair to place expectations either too high or too low, and I do that a lot.

But I think it's safe to say he kinda likes me.  Or, more accurately, like Sally Field at the Oscars, right now he likes me.  I caught That Look in his eyes a few times...the one I see people get when they're finding me charming, no matter how stoic their voice or body language may be.  Who knows what he'll think a week from now, or what I will.  But whatever happens, at least I got a rather entertaining Sunday afternoon out of it.

But man, it really sucks that he lives all the way out in Oshawa.  When you have to go to that much effort to date someone, you can't really take early dates as lightly as you should.

And this is exactly why I have to keep telling myself to stop thinking so damned much.

Blerg.

2 comments:

Maja said...

Half an hour away doesn't seem that bad. I don't think distance is a good excuse not to like someone.

I don't know how you're not going to think about it. How much is too much? Don't be afraid to be disappointed, or you'll never get anywhere.

Wahooty said...

I should emphasize, the half hour is by car, which I don't have (if I did, the distance would be completely irrelevant to me), and it's a couple of towns over from the limits of the transit system. It's easily at least an hour for either of us to get back and forth between our houses via commuter buses and public transit to those stations. So it's not trivial. Not enough to make me not like him, but it puts a lot more pressure on early dates, i.e., do I like him enough to spend that long traveling each way while I figure out if there's relationship potential? If a guy lives nearby, it's not a big deal to meet for a quick coffee or a movie, but with him, everything will involve Making Plans. Plus, the chances of seeing him during the week are slim to none, and weekend dates are also higher pressure.
And this is why I'm not thinking about it. Because there's too much to think about when I don't even know yet if I like him That Way.