Sunday, July 13, 2008

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished.

Once upon a 1:30am subway transfer...

 

There's an old(ish) guy with a grocery cart.  That should've been enough to push my "Avoid" button, but as I walk by him, he asks, "How do I get upstairs?"

 

A quick look around reveals I am the only person in the immediate vicinity, so I point to the end of the platform where there is an elevator that will take him to street level.

"You just need to go over there, and go upstairs to get out."

 

Crazy Batshit Man points at the elevator in front of him and says, "I go that way."

I, of course, am TOO STUPID TO LIVE, so I correct him.  "No, that one won't go up from here.  You need to go over there, and take the other elevator..." as I point towards the elevator in question. 

At this point, Crazy Muthafucka says, "Don't give me the finger, young lady!"

"I'm not giving you the finger, I'm trying to show you where to go..."

"You're giving me the finger."

I believe at this point, my jaw drops open and my response, reminiscent of the articulate wit for which this blog is so famous, goes something like, "ep...uh...ya..."

"Go on, young lady.  We're done."  as he shoos me toward the train.

"FINE.  We're done.  And THERE'S your finger!" as I walk away and flip him off over my shoulder as I get on the train.

3 comments:

emily said...

good lord, woman. you're lucky you didn't get murdered and put in his shopping cart.

Anonymous said...

I don't think there's anything mutually exclusive about feeling bad for the homeless and really, really disliking them.

Where are the lovable hobos of yesteryear?

MadMup said...

Rule #1 that I live by: Don't talk to crazies.