Saturday, March 31, 2007

Extra Ordinary Beauty

Last night was another one of those bizarre, inexplicable, yet fantastic nights out. You know the kind of night I'm talking about - you go out for something simple, like a drink after work, and you end up meeting strange and wonderful new people, having truly entertaining conversations. Eventually you find yourself eating greasy Chinese food at 1:30 in the morning, hoping your new friend can remember your e-mail address because you have nothing to write with and that's easier to commit to memory than a phone number, and taking the night bus all the way home because the subway has stopped running. As I waited for said bus, I was struck by how many perfectly ordinary, beautiful things had happened around me. So here's the list:

1. Honesty. I knew I liked my new friend because as soon as I met him he criticized my outfit. You might think that rude, but the fact of the matter is, he was absolutely right. His major point was that I am "obviously a very vibrant person" and my clothes didn't reflect my personality at all. Which is 100% true. And he didn't like my sleeves - neither did I. But my utter boredom with my wardrobe is a matter for another day.

2. The charge you get from meeting a group of people and feeling like you fit right in. Good interpersonal chemistry can be hard to find, and effortlessly blending into a new group dynamic is not something that I can do often. Of course, beer helps. ;)

3. Really GOOD hugs. In case anyone was wondering, it appears that the VGLM and I are snuggle-compatible (or at least it works on my end). But before you get all excited on my behalf - he had to be bullied into snuggling me, so it doesn't count. But it was some seriously high-quality snuggle - when he actually hugged me back and rested his head on top of mine, I could've died right there.

5. As I walked from my lab to the night bus, a couple of random guys passed me going the opposite direction on College, and one said, "You look great!" I had been lost in thought, so I turned around to see if that was directed at me, and it most definitely was. When you're feeling poorly dressed and unattractive (one of the people we had been hanging out with was a girl I would definitely classify as the VGLM's type, and girls like that ALWAYS make me feel inadequate), a well-timed compliment can do wonders. And "you look great" has always been one of my favorite compliments. It implies that you've managed to put yourself together into a good overall package, and just made a generally strong impression. It seems to be the compliment you get when you're not just wearing a cute top or having a good hair day, but are exuding some sort of attractive intangible. Of course, this guy was probably just drunk and said it to every girl he passed, but it was still something I needed in that moment.

6. The two adorable, heavily perfumed men holding hands as they waited to cross Yonge, and the two girls nuzzling and cuddling while waiting for the bus. I may be alone and bitter, but I still believe that love is a beautiful thing, and this was PDA that was far more sweet than sickening at an hour when most people are drunkenly groping their companions.

7. The guy waiting for the bus that was so drunk and/or stoned that stamping out his cigarette butt seemed to completely blow his mind. He was clearly on a plane of existence that I have never experienced, and frankly hope I never do.

8. The city at closing time, still brightly lit and sidewalks bustling with happy people.

9. The quiet of the 'burbs at 3am.

We live in a beautiful world indeed.

2 comments:

Dave said...

OK, I loved this post, except for one thing:
"...of course, this guy was probably just drunk and said it to every girl he passed"

Honey, how many times am I gonna have to tell ya, you're all that, a bag of chips, a cookie, a soda, and a discount coupon.

Love ya!

Wahooty said...

Hey...it was 2 am on College St...I'm not saying I wasn't worthy of the compliment, but I'm thinking the odds are in my favor in terms of the guy being drunk and not very particular about the object of his affections... That wasn't a putdown of myself so much as a moment of realism. ;)