Saturday, September 22, 2007

Chop Suey

Tonight I decided that I needed to go out to eat. All by myself, like a big girl. I just didn't feel like sitting at home all by my lonesome, so I might as well take my lonesome out on the town.

So I headed to a nearby pub. But when I got there, it was fairly full, with a crowd much older than I, and it just wasn't the atmosphere I was looking for. Plus, I had realized by that time that what I really wanted was fish & chips, so I headed to the bus stop so that I could relocate to my fish & chips shop a few blocks away.

I got there at 8:05.

They closed at 8.

D'OH!

Okay, so moving on to Plan C: catch another bus back home, and finally try the Chinese restaurant in my neighborhood that I have heard is actually quite good. The "Chinese Beef Lamb House" always looks and smells quite tasty whenever I walk by, and I've been wanting to try it, but am always hesitant to try Chinese places without the buffer provided by one of my Chinese friends. And tonight I was reminded why.

Once I was seated, they brought me a plate...napkin...

...and a fork.

They didn't even give me the OPTION of chopsticks. And yeah, I could have asked, but I figured it wasn't worth flagging down the waitress again.

Now, I'm no hero. I am not very good with chopsticks, because they are not standard issue in most of the Asian restaurants in the Virginia and Indiana towns in which I have lived. (The glaring exception being sushi restaurants, which I find funny because sushi is actually supposed to be eaten with the fingers as far as I know.) But I am a firm believer in the whole "when in Rome..." attitude, and I like to eat my Chinese/Korean/Japanese/Vietnamese/etc. food with the proper utensils. It is, quite frankly, part of the reason I go out for that sort of thing, because I can make Asian foods at home, but I don't have chopsticks (yet), and it's just more fun to eat the food the way it's meant to be eaten. And the only way I will ever get good at using them is to ACTUALLY USE THEM. It may take me a while to eat my bowl of pho, but dammit, I do it, and I've improved a lot in the last year. I wouldn't have been offended had they brought me a fork WITH my chopsticks, but they never even gave me a chance. C'mon, throw the white girl a bone!

So anyway, I eat my dinner with my stupid fork, and it's very, very tasty. But I find myself wondering if it's the real thing. Chinese restaurants are notorious for having two versions of everything - the real one, and the one they serve the white people.

I lived in Indiana for seven years. I've had enough greasy, bland, Westernized Chinese food to last me many lifetimes. Toronto is known for having fantastic Chinese food, and when I go to a Chinese restaurant, I want the same food that the Chinese patrons eat. If I'm smart enough to eat at a restaurant in which I am the sole white person, I don't want to be treated like someone who doesn't really want authentic food. Even my Canadian-born Chinese friends tend to be surprised when I like things that are very traditionally Chinese and very different from Western food.

Dude, I like food. I ain't fussy.

So I guess I'll never know if my cumin lamb was the real thing unless I take one of my Chinese friends with me and have them order it. But oooh, even if it was toned down, it was fabulous.

I almost asked for the check in Chinese, just to salvage a little pride, but I only know how to say it in Cantonese, and I'm pretty sure this is a Mandarin-speaking joint, so I would have just looked even more hopelessly Anglo. And if there's anything I hate more than being subtly patronized, it's the blatant patronization you get for doing things like that.

And dammit, I still want some fish & chips.

5 comments:

emily said...

You know, people give British food a really hard time, but they gave us fish and chips, and you really shouldn't disregard a food culture that gave us fish and chips.

And now I want fish and chips.

Anonymous said...

Penrose Fish and Chips. I remember going there when I was a kid. It has been around for at least 50 years(not that I'm 50 yrs.old). Still made to order and wrapped in newspaper.
I think a field trip is in order.

Wahooty said...

I've heard of Penrose - which one? I'm quite partial to St. Andrew's because a) it's close to my house and b) they have deep-fried Mars bars, which I have not yet been hungry enough to order, but seeing them on the menu always makes me happy. But I am ALWAYS up for trying different F&C places, so when are you coming out?

Anonymous said...

I'm talking about the original on Mt. Pleasant which opened in 1950. Deep fried Mars bars are very addictive, be careful.
Their hours of operation are difficult to work with but I'm thinking during the week.

Wahooty said...

Oops...my bad...I was thinking of Duckworth's, of which there are two (no affiliation between them) - one of which is supposed to be awesome, the other is supposed to be awful. :) I've noticed some lively debate as to whether Penrose is fantastic or disgusting, so I'm curious to try it and see which side I fall on. Let me know when you're going - the deep-fried portion of my ongoing culinary tour of Toronto has been shamefully limited. Plus, I'm dying to witness you eating something greasy. ;)