Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Irony is the hygiene of the mind.

The U of T, in its infinte wisdom, has been inundating my building (or at least my floor) with posters lately. One surfaced in the washroom, explaining the fundamentals of hand-washing. Because I guess if you've managed to make it to the upper echelon of academia without ever learning to wash your hands after you pee, the only logical explanation is that you've never had a proper visual aide. Around the same time, they installed Purell dispensers just outside the washroom doors, and a day or two later a helpful poster appeared to explain, basically, that germs are icky (complete with a cartoon germ that has legs, antennae and, yes, WINGS. Must be one of them there airborne illnesses I've heard so much about).

I will save my anti-Purell tirades for another day, but I encourage you to read that last part again, keeping in mind that my building is officially named the Center for Cellular and Biomolecular Research.

Thank God for those posters - otherwise, the people in this building might never have figured out how to kill germs.

This week, a new set appeared. Four beautiful posters, all about efforts we can make to help the University be Green - reducing greenhouse gas emissions, using sustainable resources, recycling, and...

...going paperless.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Germs are icky? Even the flying ones? I love the flying germs, they're fun and play a mean game of 'hide the flu'.
The problem is if the University sent out an electronic version of the 'Green' poster, it would end up in the trash or spam folder.
Mmmmm...spam.

emily said...

I've always wondered about all those massive concerts they throw to raise people's awareness about global warning and whatnot. How Green do you think those are? Do all the stars share an airplane instead of flying their own private jets? Do they use halogen lightbulbs to light their bands? Is everything recycled?

I bet not so much.

I'm also against anti-bacterial soap, but I'll save that for another time.