Sunday, September 30, 2007

Been there, done that, bought the T-shirt. And the commemorative coin set.

Things you have to have done in order to truly understand the Wahooty:

1. Smelled your dental floss. Hey, it's the only way you know your teeth are truly clean.

2. Done dishes that have been sitting in the sink so long that they smell EXACTLY like your dental floss on one of those not-so-fresh days.

3. Done dishes while rather intoxicated.

Remembered that there is no #4.

5. Been appalled by your own filth, and deathly afraid that someone will find out.

6. Planned a perfectly lovely evening, and had it turn out just exactly as lovely (if not more so) than you had planned.

7. Planned a perfectly boring evening, and had it turn out far lovelier than you expected it to.

8. Made the perfect dinner.

9. And drunk at least half a bottle of the perfect wine.

10. Oh hell...drunk the whole fucking bottle.

11. Worn heels and an evening gown around your apartment for no reason other than that they made you happy.

12. Watched many, MANY hours of Sex and the City. Often, while wearing heels. And maybe an evening gown. Or two.

13. Put on music for the sole purpose of dancing and/or singing around your apartment. Possibly put on shoes for that very purpose. Hey, the tap shoes get lonely. As do the jazz shoes. Shut up, you're not the boss of me.

14. Curled up in an armchair with a couple of furry things and watched a football game. Preferably with at least one of the furry things falling asleep. Snoring is a bonus.

15. Watched the sunrise over a mountain and a pasture full of cows.

16. Received cow kisses.

17. Had a mint julep.

18. Gone wine tasting and loved it. Even at a shitty winery.

19. Been to Virginia in the fall.

20. Had REAL BBQ. And sweet tea. And realized that one does not exist without the other.

21. Watched a TV show with someone several hundred miles away. And across an international border.

22. Wandered around alone at night and never once had it occur to you to be frightened. In fact, wandered. Just for the sake of wandering.

23. Loved MTV more than anyone has a right to. Even in Canada.

24. Left your home behind, only to find a new one.

25. Diagnosed your own health problems, and found the right medication.

26. And been right.

27. Seen how fucking cool it is to mix chemicals and create light.

28. Been in front of a captive, and captivated, audience.

29. Walked the Lawn at UVA. With and without clothing.

30. Been hooded at a graduation, while your parents kissed in the audience.

Rejoiced in finishing a list on a nice, round number.

Oh, there are more. Many more. But these are all I thought of tonight.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very true. Regarding #11 and #12 - I like to wear an evening gown and heels when paying bills. Festive!

emily said...

Okay, I'm going to fashion a very long response because I know how you love my drunken comments. I always feel a little guilty when I leave long comments, though. But, eh, I always feel guilty about shit. Anyway,

1. No, but I always inspect my dental floss.

2. You know how I am with the dishes. That's why I'm a bad roommate sometimes.

3. Heh heh heh. Do I have dishes to do now?

5. That's what sucks about living with someone! I try very hard to be much neater than I normally am, and it's STILL not THAT neat.

6. Ooo, isn't that nice? In the once and a while it happens. And it always happens when I'm with you. (batting eyelashes)

7. But I love boring evenings!

8. Does brie, a baguette, and a bottle of red wine count? If so, then YES!

9. Half?

10. Hells yeah!

11. Not as often as I should.

12. Who hasn't?

13. Putting on music for the sole purpose of dancing and/or singing around the apt (or house) is not at all an unusual thing. Sheesh.

14. Armchair, check. Curling, check. Football, check! One furry thing, check. Two if you count my slippers. Or three. Two if you count my slippers as one entity, but three if you count each slipper as a separate entity. And, hee hee, I just realized that when I said "curling, check" it sounds like I'm talking about the sport of curling. With the ice and the brooms and whatnot. But I'm not.

15. Sunrise over the Rotunda.

16. What you and your cow do are none of my business.

17. mmmMMMmmm

18. mmmMMMmmm. You know I have! And that it has a nice body with a surprise finish.

19. I will admit that Virginia has the prettiest Fall that I've experienced. I missed that in Charleston.

20. Putting sugar in cold tea does NOT sweet tea make, people! Damn, it annoys me when waitresses say try to tell you that it does!

21. (blush)

22. Yes. I can't do that anymore, I worry too much. But it was glorious when I could.

23. Pass. If you had said VH1, the N or Lifetime, I'd be all over that.

24. I've been blessed to find people to love me in places far away from home.

25. Mostly, you diagnose my health problems. Thanks!

26. You're always right. Most of the time.

27. (pout)

28. Actually, yes. And I do kind of miss teaching my high school apprentices.

29. heh heh heh. One of those was with you, and one of those was without. And one of those happened more than once. Aw yeah...

30. I'm very proud of you!

And that little addendum is TOTALLY #31!!!! But that's cool, it's your blog, I'll let you fudge the numbers a bit.