Tuesday, May 01, 2007

How NOT to make a first impression.

I went out with a friend this evening for a little happy hour type thing that she goes to every Tuesday - just a couple of random people that she meets for a couple of beers, onion rings, and wings. So my friend introduces me to the two people we're meeting... typical small talk ensues... she mentions that I am, like her, from the States, so the natural next question is, "Oh? Where are you from?" My standard answer is "Virginia." Now, considering recent events, I probably should have gone with "Washington, D.C." in order to avoid the awkward nod of recognition that results from EVERYONE having heard of my home state in the last few weeks in a less than positive light (I used to avoid telling people I was from D.C. for very similar reasons).

Now, that being said, there are a number of ways you can respond when someone says they are from Virginia.

"Ahh...Virginia...I hear it's easy to...buy guns there" is NOT one of them.

I pretended to laugh because, contrary to my previous entry, I am not a complete bitch, and the person in question did seem to begin to realize what he had just said - he actually followed up with, "I'm sorry...that's probably...not even a little bit funny."

Then why are you still laughing, asshole?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow...that guy is a total douchebag. I would have kicked him right in the junk...

emily said...

That really is not the slightest bit funny. On our visit to the C'ville, Beta Bridge was still painted "Hoos for Hokies," and a lot of businesses had Tech flags flying. There were also places selling half UVA/half Tech flags, which leads to the "wow, they churn those things out fast" thought, but still better than that joke.

Wahooty said...

Those flags have been around since well before this happened - they make them for parents who have a kid at each school. It's a shame that those selling them are making extra profits off of tragedy, but at least they weren't made with that in mind. But I do find it interesting that until now, those were supposed to represent "a house divided...."