Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Work It?

Okay, so it's about that time of the month where, if you don't hear from me soon, you should all be yelling at me about doing my fitness assessment, expecting a progress report, etc. etc.

Well, here's the deal. I have not, as promised, been doing my run three times a week. I've been doing it once or twice a week, and not at all for the last week and a half or so.

Stop yelling at me and hear me out.

See, I've been having this pain in my foot. It started about the time I started this whole thing, so at first I figured it was just a matter of my suddenly using certain odd little muscles a lot more than they were used to. At the beginning, my calves were hurting a hell of a lot more than my foot, so it didn't even really register at first. It's not a sharp, debilitating pain, just kind of...annoying. At any rate, unlike my calves, it never got better, and it starts nagging at me any time I run or tap dance. Seeing as how I have also gotten into a bad habit of letting my milk go bad in my refrigerator, I now suspect it may be a stress fracture. I'm not sure whether it's the running or the tap dancing that are to blame, but I am trying to take it easy, drink lots of milk, and see if the doctor can't heal thyself. I probably shouldn't even be going to tap class (it had been feeling much better but was hurting by the end of the hour last night, and let's face it - it doesn't get more high-impact than deliberately striking a wooden floor repeatedly with metal-soled shoes) but dammit, those cost money, I only have two more left, and I'll be damned if I'm going to quit before I learn the rest of that Fred Astaire combination.

So yeah, I'm kind of frustrated and disappointed with myself, because before I started taking it easy I had been making progress. And since I can't afford a gym membership, I don't even have access to an elliptical trainer, swimming pool, or other low/no-impact ways to at least keep my cardio endurance up to speed.

Yarr.

So I'm doing the best I can. Bear with me - I'll keep you posted.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Stress fractures are a real pain(no pun intended). I have had them and know the throb, but I also know how to work around them.
Don't get frustrated, get even. I know the pain free way.
Keep up everything else, and as always I'm proud of you.